Blogs > Soldier stories

Stories and news from the men and women in the Reporter's coverage area who are currently serving in the military and stories from our veterans.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Retirement spurs memories, gratitude

Submitted by: Capt. Stephen J. Fireoved, JAGC, USN, Hatfield

As I conclude over 33 years of service with the U.S.Navy, I cannot help but think what an extraordinary privilege and honor it has been to serve in support of the world’s finest Navy.
I recall quite clearly when I was sworn in on Jan. 11, 1977, I was merely looking to secure a job during my first year of law school. Never did it occur to me that I was embarking on a great journey that would present not only interesting and challenging work but, more importantly, an incredible opportunity to work shoulder to shoulder with phenomenal individuals.
What was most striking about the people I served with was that they were all ingrained with a “can do” attitude, always looking for the next assignment and how they could help the unit, the supported command, and their shipmates. I always knew that if I needed help, a fellow JAG officer could be relied upon to drop everything and supply whatever assistance was necessary when I called for help.
Without question, my work has been professionally gratifying. I have served in positions of leadership with two commanding officer tours and three tours as a staff judge advocate.
Assignments such as the V-22 Osprey aircraft mishap investigation; mobilization support for various military initiatives; assignment as counsel on numerous significant JAGMANUAL investigations; providing command and individual service member support in New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf region post-Katrina as a member of Task Force Navy Family; and winning the Rear Admiral Hugh H. Howell, Jr. Award of Excellence and the Gilbert Cup as the commanding officer of LSO North Central 104 for services in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom will never be forgotten.
But it was not the work that kept me showing up for drill. It was, and will always be, the great people of our corps that makes it so special.
I sincerely appreciate the opportunity to have been able to serve with you to ensure the continued freedom of our nation. There is no greater motivating force than to be dedicated to a cause greater than self.
It is indeed a great honor to have worn the uniform and to state with pride that I have served the U.S. Navy.
I wish all of you fair winds and following seas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home