Blogs > Soldier stories

Stories and news from the men and women in the Reporter's coverage area who are currently serving in the military and stories from our veterans.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Kenneth F. Schrepfer: A high honor

Submitted by Kenneth F. Schrepfer, Lansdale

On June 23, 2010 I was awarded France’s highest military decoration by the Consulate General of France at a ceremony in the French Embassy in Washington.
I was named a “chevalier,” as a sign of France’s gratitude for my contribution to the liberation of France during World War II. I was a corporal in the 26th Infantry Division of the Gen. Patton Third Army. I was in the campaigns of northern France and Rhineland, and was awarded two Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts.
I am 100 percent disabled because of severe war wounds suffered in France in 1944, when my unit was ambushed by a German Panzer division in a quarry outside the town of Guebling, France.
I spent two years in Army hospitals.
Following my honorable discharge from the Army in 1946, I attended the University of Pennsylvania, earning an A.B. and M.S. degree. I also received a doctorate in educational psychology from Temple University.
In the late 1990s, I graduated from Montgomery County Community College, specializing in modern languages and history. At the time I was 75 years old.
I will soon be 87 and am very proud of my military service.
I am also very proud of the French Legion of Honor and very humble at the same time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home